The house at 24 Ascot Vale Road is unusual in Flemington for being pre-Boom Period architecture, and an example of early bluestone construction.
It remains on a large block that once extended to Racecourse Road and contained a network of stables.
Records indicate the house was built in about 1875 by the Mortison family.
Frank Mortison, horse dealer and salesman, appears to have been connected to the property from about 1875. Robert Mortison, salesman, was listed as the first owner/occupant in the inaugural rate book for the Borough of Flemington and Kensington in 1881-2.
By 1886 the description of the property included a stable. Being close to Flemington Racecourse, this was not the only stable in the area!
Subsequent occupants included William Cox (1910), Coleman (1920) and Egan (1925). By 1926 horse trainer William Burke had purchased the house and adjacent property. He developed the two bungalows next door in 1927-28, ultimately living at 22 Ascot Vale Road. All three buildings remain. But there are no stables.
The only link to the racing industry now is possibly jockeys seeking treatment from Flemington Chiropractic, which is moving into 24 Ascot Vale Road!
Heritage Place Report (Moonee Valley City Council, 1 March 2010)
Extract from Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works plan 1895 (held by State Library of Victoria)