Solomon Peardon lived from the 1870s in an area called Flemington Bank, which appears to have been adjacent to the Moonee Ponds Creek in what is now North Melbourne. His two-storey mansion was called Sorrell House.
This mansion (depicted in the attached photograph) was likely named after Sorell in Tasmania, where Peardon lived before going to Victoria when he was 23 years old. The name clearly had some significance because he also owned a farm at Rochester, Victoria, which was named Sorell Farm.
Peardon was born in 1826 in Kenton, Devon, England. When he first came to Victoria, Peardon lived in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, with his back yard where the Block Arcade now stands.
Solomon Peardon was active in business, property and local affairs and was a councillor in North Melbourne from 1864 to 1866.
He conducted his business from Flemington Bank, where he owned the Glenmore Tannery.
In addition to Sorrell House, he also owned a four-room investment cottage in McCracken Street, Kensington. By the time of his death on 14 March 1885, he had accumulated a fortune in properties.
Peardon also owned the building opposite the Melbourne GPO Building (where there used to be McGills Newsagency), and shops next to the Post Office on Little Bourke Street. He had investment properties in Prahran and Balaclava too.
The information for this article was provided by Gabrielle Morgan, Solomon Peardon’s great granddaughter. The images are courtesy of North Melbourne Library.