There are a few stables remaining in the backyards and alleys of Flemington, a couple in Newmarket still in use, but none as grand or likely to be as old as those in Crown Street. The stables were constructed in 1886 by Joseph Cohen to accommodate six horses at the rear of a large, now demolished, timber house facing Coronet Street. Built of brick and gabled, the stables were used by horse trainers and later, during the First World War, by the Light Horse Brigade. They are now being converted into a community arts space. An oculus (eye window) looks out from the south, keeping an eye on the park.