Following the opening of the stockyards, Newmarket Station opened in 1860 on the new Melbourne and Essendon Railway Company Line. This was run by Hugh Glass (the owner of Flemington House).
The current buildings were erected in 1925. These replaced the uneven wooden platform and wooden buildings (depicted in the 1911 postcard). The associated rail sidings extended along land now occupied by housing in Newmarket Street and beyond, as far back as Ascot Vale Road.
The venerable River Red Gum on the west embankment is most likely a self-seeded progeny of the indigenous “giant trees” early surveyors described as characteristic of the area.
The station has been a prominent landmark in Flemington for almost 90 years, serving the local community and, in earlier days, the adjacent stockyards.
Over the past decade volunteers called the “Newmarket Stationeers” have worked with the Flemington Association, Sustainability Victoria and others to enhance the stations’ surrounds, including extensive planting and maintenance of the garden along Pin Oak Crescent.
In May 2014 a demolition notice was served on Moonee Valley Council, proposing destruction of the station buildings. The Flemington Association is currently seeking to work with the state government and Public Transport Victoria to try to preserve and enhance this great asset.
The postcard of Newmarket Station (ca 1911) is from the Essendon Historical Society Collection
Old images of the current station buildings can also be seen on the Public Records of Victoria (PROV) website.