Follow us on Facebook
+ -

An Improvement on the Iron Pot – Flemington Primary School

IMG_3002

When opened in 1923, Flemington State School was described as one of the finest in the Southern Hemisphere, and its hilltop location commanded views out to the Bay. The new building’s 10 classrooms were designed to accommodate 768 pupils (although only 570 attended in 1924). Conditions were a vast improvement on an earlier school, built in the 1850s on the other side of Mount Alexander Road, and known as ‘the iron pot’ because its corrugated iron structure was intensely hot in summer.

Places by name:

Places by address:

Sitelink

Search