The gates at the entrance to Flemington Primary School look grand by today’s standards, but were a mere precursor to the delights of Flemington House, which was home to Hugh Glass (a squatter and early settler in Flemington) and later by Henry Madden (a horse trader). Those delights included an artificial lake running under the house, Corinthian colonnaded portico and huge ballroom. Since 1924, the gates have seen thousands of primary school students arrive as shy preps and leave as confident teens. In 2010, the gates were refurbished and restored to their former glory. During the restoration period, 18 different coats of paint were found!